Saturday, February 4, 2012

Forget the Groundhog - 2 Sunny Days!!!!

So here's the here and now.

It has been sunshiny for two whole days! Naturally, this inspired me to get out my seeds, and garden catalogs and plan outdoorsy things. This summer I want to make our backyard more of a haven and make it really inviting. We are going to try to accomplish the following: 1. establish a permanent home for the fire pit so we can have more marshmellow roasting moments. 2. Move the strawberries to a new home closer to the pond and establish a cool herb garden there too. 3. Research and begin construction on an inground trampoline. 4. Install a zip line from our big tree over to the swingset.  5. Build "Kid's" raised garden beds. 6. Raise some of my own garden beds. 7. Plant more flowers.

I am sure there will be more things to add to the list. And I have no ideas what opportunities will await at the church garden this year.

In other news, I tried the Timothy Ferris slow carb diet with my hubby, because he wanted to do it for work. It worked amazingly, but I am not holding out hope that it will be sustainable. Since we have finished the experiment, I have already gained back some of what I lost, but that was to be expected. One thing that I did not expect, however, was the difference in the way I am now looking at food. Honestly, this diet really killed my enthusiasm for yummies. Now I am seeing basically two categories of foods: foods that are not good for your body (i.e. worthless to eat), and foods that I have no desire to eat (like beans, lentils, beans, beans, beans - can you tell what we ate a lot of on this plan?)

I am looking forward to establishing a base line and then continuing working toward a more healthy body weight for myself. I am in about the same place I was in last year when I began trying which is both discouraging and encouraging. Discouraging because I haven't made very much progress (though I have a little bit) and encouraging because the biggest holidays are over and I didn't gain. Well, I did, but it's gone again. Easy come, easy go type pounds. So, now I am at square -1. Little better off, but not much. The Wii and I are going to have to make friends again. The other good news here is that gardening season is just around the corner. I have always preferred to do exercises that actually produce results. I am sure that there will be enough to do (It's a big pit to dig for the inground tramp after all) to give me lots of productive exercise opportunities. And get me some fresh air and Vitamin D which I think that you lack on the slow carb diet personally.

Homeschooling is going pretty well, though I am starting to get some of the spring fever and my kindergartener is really struggling to stay motivated with reading. Hubby and I talked about using a new reward system for him because he is very motivated with rewards. Even small ones. So, I think that is the path we will take for him going forward. He knows what he is doing mostly, and understands the "how," but doesn't seem to have any desire to actually do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment