Thursday, February 16, 2012

Seed Starts


I have started my seeds in spite of the late snow storm.  Usually I have found that I don't do well with starting seeds indoors.  They always seem to do the horrible "dampening off" thing.  (I found this pretty good article on dampening off on a website called Dave's Garden.  I plan to try the peroxide and water spray suggested there to try to prevent it.)  Or they get dumped on the floor by a well meaning toddler.  Or I neglect the watering and they dry up and die.  Things do better when put in the ground outside for me where God can take care of them when I don't.  Automatic sprinklers also help.  But I often try to start seeds anyway when I am impatient.  A few days ago I washed some pots out and filled them with seed starting mix.  Josh and I stuck some seeds in the pots and moistened them. 

Fast forward a few days and my tomatoes are up!!!  I love it!!!  Josh is so excited.  Here you can see them poking up their tiny, green starter leaves on their thin, little stems.  I have added a little Miracle Grow potting soil to their pots and will continue to do so as they grow.  A good friend who does well with starting seeds offered me the advice to start with a little seed mix in the pot and then add potting soil as the plants get bigger.  She said that the seed mix doesn't have enough nutrients generally to sustain a larger plant very well.  I hope it works.  We planted several seeds in each pot and plan to thin to just one per pot as we see which is the strongest looking plant.       



Nothing else has come up yet, but I will keep you posted.  Oh, and just because...Elise wanted me to take her picture too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment